Tuesday, May 15, 2018

The Awkwardness of Mourning

I cannot know your circumstance. 
I can only hope to not intrude. 
Often the best thing is to be out of the way.

The torrents of it all are ever there. 
A breaker, a respite; that is what is provided. 
The storm is not taken away. You are sheltered.

Death is never opportune, even if a relief. 
A person filled and spilling over with pain.

(I held my grandmother's hand when she passed. 
It was a beautiful and terrible moment, but it was closure. 
After we cried and called and sat dumbly and breathed deeply
We walked towards our cars.
At a hallway intersection I saw the undertaker
Wheeling my grandmother's body on a gurney.
It was a scene I shouldn't have known.
I had already said goodbye.)

Death is unwelcome when the deceased never had a chance to breathe. 
A baby born without a heartbeat.

I do not have the tools to mourn or the words to heal. 
I can be present.

Be here. Get out of the way.
Be here. Get out of the way.
Be close. Be. 

Don't move a muscle.
Don't get up to help.
Don't do. Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment